Wednesday 7 October 2009

Coming up to a year!

Can't believe I'm coming up 12 months post-op. Pretty much everyone asks me if it was all worth it and I can say without hesitation that it has been. I believe though, that my response says a lot about my expectations from the outset. You see, my surgeon was always very clear about the potential outcomes/risk of Dynesys, so I knew that following the op I could be :-
  1. pain-free
  2. in less pain
  3. the same, or
  4. worse off

I was always optimistic of the outcome but law of averages told me that I would be pretty lucky to come out completely pain free. It's interesting though, that the Facebook group (now numbering 62 members) pretty much divides as above - we have members who are completely pain-free following the recovery period, as well as others for whom there has been no change, or failure...

So where do I fit? Well I fall solidly into the 2nd category. I'm pretty much drug-free but not pain-free. I still experience pain daily, but it is wholly manageable. It's not the jump out the window, no sleep, can't do anything type of pain. I continue to exercise daily either in the pool or Pilates and when I don't exercise, I know it. I still have an afternoon siesta. I am mindful of the things I do, and for how long I do them. But I can do more than before. Sure, I have my moments but a handful of paracetamol /co-codamol seems to do it for me. One thing for sure though, the recovery was lengthier and far more difficult than I ever imagined. To this day I still have to be extremely disciplined and work hard to maintain my 'new' back - exercising daily and forcing myself to rest when things are not so great is crucial.

Overall, Dynesys has been a resounding success for me. I feel more like the old me - 46 instead of 96! The reduction in pain obviously plays a massive part but I hadn't realised 'til a few months ago how the cocktail of drugs had affected me. How 'un-me' I've been! Not nasty, horrible or anything, just "The Kelster" but 'dampened down', if that makes sense.

Now... gggRRR, there's a tiger in my tank (again), and I've got a million and one things going on in my head!! I've just had to accept that I will never downhill ski again (my passion), but look forward to cross-country, snow-shoeing and bedding down at the Ice Hotel in Quebec! As for heels girlies, well they don't agree with me any more. I salivate over Manola, Lamboutin & Choo but the reality is I'm wearing Fitflops, MBTs, New Balance, Ecco & Clarks!!! None of which do anything for "me ol' street cred" LOL xxx

No comments: