Tuesday 18 January 2011

Bit of a mistake...

Well Saturday just gone I tried x-country skiing (classic) for the very first time. Given that I am an experienced skiier I thought I might at least have a bit of a head start in this sport. DOH! It has to be one of the hardest thing I've ever done. Skiis are narrow, extremely long and boots are not rigid - balance is entirely different to downhill. Guy that fitted us with the rental said that the conditions were not good - like skiing in sand and he was right. But in all fairness it's no excuse as Dr Vic and others in our party picked it up OK. No problem with fitness just fell too many times - each one made me realise that I had been downright stupid to even contemplate doing this after my dynesis op! Hey ho, all part of embracing the great Canadian outdoors and pushing myself to try stuff out despite having a dodgy back!

Early February we're taking part in a snowshoeing 'romp' around Horseshoe Valley, which I'm not expecting to be a problem and later in February it's looking like we'll finally have Curling lessons. I've been told there's a special contraption for peeps who cannot bend to push the stone or sweep - so I'm game!

Just got to accept that sometimes things are going to beat me - better to be pain free and mobile than plain stubborn...

No comments: