Thursday 5 February 2009

Won't be going there again!

Well, I think it's fair to say that the last 10 days are ones I don't want to repeat in a hurry! Turned the corner on the searing 'new' pain - still not so clever in the middle of the night or first thing but sooooo much better than it was. Weirdest thing now is that I'm getting pain predominantly after sleeping on my back, I'm fine when I use the 'Borg Barrier' - which is the opposite of how it was immediately following the op. Strangely, one of my spiney friends is experiencing the same problem, she is just 2 weeks behind me in recovery!

Blood tests came back negative, thank God - no infection or inflammation. So, like me, my GP concluded today that I had just overdone it. Went straight to the pool afterwards - first time in a fortnight - did not go mad (doh!) - did just under 30 mins exercise and then had a sauna! It felt so good to be controlling my back again and not IT controlling me!!!

Lesson for this week is... to listen to my body more and heed its limitations!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly, so pleased to hear that you are improving, and yes you must listen to your body...you keep telling me, so my turn to nag you now!! lol..my back sort of aches a little when i have had enough, so i go and lay down for half or so and then it is fine again after!
have a good day, don't forget take it easy...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly

Saw Vic this morning on the annual morning pilgrimage to the Woodland Trust!! He said you have had a bad ten days after being in the pool - must be so easy to push yourself especially as you want to get back to full fitness as soon as possible although medically it is still early days for such an operation- so thought I'd have a look at your blog and see how you are getting on.

Vic said you have set up a site on facebook also - I am totally addicted to facebook so I will have a look for the site - whats it under?
You haven't missed much by not going out - crap weather as usual although Scoobi loved the snow, I was not as keen although it meant a day off work!!!

We are off to Phuket on Sunday for 2 weeks - with crap weather here and good there I'll probably get the flu knowing my luck - or even worse Michael might get it and you know what men are like when they are under the weather.......!! However just to make you feel better you are not missing out on anything as a 12 hour flight is the last thing you want to be doing at the moment - would probably set you back weeks so look on the bright side.....staying in is actually better for you.... I know that was a really poor attempt at making you feel better.

My friend who had her back op last March was due to come on holiday with us 2 months after the op...luckily they cancelled out as we bounced around the skies for 8 hours then had a 20 minutes boat ride in what felt like force 9 but was probably only a pathetic little bit of wind but it would have ruined her holiday as she would not have been able to move off the bed for a week.

Anyway had better go as I'm at work and the phones are going and Scoobi needs his morning wee - nice!!

Lou
xx