Monday 15 December 2008

Bah humbug...

Hydro last Friday was challenging. Lots of side-side twisting (new movement for me) with a woggle has resulted in more pain, so I cut out my other exercises over the weekend. Had a few Xmas visitors too, which was great but it meant that I probably spent too long up and about and am paying for it big-stylie today - hey-ho! Still what can you do? You have to push yourself in order to ascertain your limitations and in order to improve, you can't just laze about all day...

Getting excited about Xmas now but as has been the case for the past few years, I actually fear the run-up to it... Now I know many people get stressed in the run up to Christmas, and many feel totally exhausted from the constant rounds of shopping, organising, cooking, partying & visiting. But spare a thought for the thousands who are doing all that in pain or with disability.

From a 'spineys' viewpoint... no matter how much you purchase online there are still some things you just have to buy in-the-flesh - you know, the plumpest turkey or those sparkly party shoes. So with trepidation we brace ourselves for the Xmas bunfight and worse, the ensuing pain! A big bah humbug to... queues, and worse, standing STILL in queues, having nowhere to sit and rest our backs, inconsiderates who huff & puff because we're walking too slowly and with a stick to boot! and bags that only have cards & wrapping paper in them yet make our backs feel like we're carrying half-hundredweight of coal. Oh, and on the subject of shoes - I don't care what Vogue say, a party outfit just doesn't look the part with ballerinas even if they are bang on-trend, sparkly & expensive... I sooo grieve my skyscraper-heels!!! And how is it we spend all year walking, exercising and moving in an attempt to stay mobile and IT WORKS. Yet mingling and dancing at a Xmas bash just leaves us laid up and in pain for days! Work that one out???

And lastly a word from the master of embarrassing moments involving booze - copious amounts of Xmas cheer and drugs don't mix, period!!! BAH HUMBUG!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly
Just found your blog and have been reading it over the w/end.
I am on the waiting list for dynesys and believe I have shared most of your experiences, good and bad !.I am looking forward to christmas, but I know that things have to get worse before they get better.Please keep up the blog as you have helped me believe that I am not going mad and there are other people like me. Have a great christmas and dance even though it hurts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly and Dr. Vic
Christmas is aroud the corner I know its not going to be easy from what I read from your blog
take it easy and keep going do not quit
we keep praying for bought of you
love you
Gene and Marian