Thursday 4 December 2008

Just what the doctor ordered...

Tuesday was a good day at the docs!

If you take a quick peek below you will see the meccano set that is now my back - the x-rays only show the screws - the spacers (2 either side) and cord/wire are not visible on an x-ray. It was a sharp intake of breath moment, I must admit, when I saw the x-rays for the first time but funny as it sounds, it has made it more real to me, it's tangible now, less in my head!!

Good news is that my surgeon has given me the green light for physio/hydro - got the initial assessment on Tuesday - woo hoo!

They are a bit worried about the right leg still, particularly the pain in the groin and upper leg and want to do some x-rays on my hips. Their thinking is there could be something going on there - I was like, "WHAT! That's all I need..." anyway, I'm not overly concerned as I haven't had hip problems before. It's obviously in my interest to listen to the medics so we've agreed to see how I am doing when I go back for my next check-up in March, if I'm the same / worse I will have x-rays then. I must say that the all-round service I have had from the NHS / Conquest Hospital has been exemplary - they are on-the-ball, caring and accommodating - I've been dead lucky!!

I found out by pure chance on Tuesday that the anti-inflammatories I am taking can affect whether the 'new' HA coated screws bond with the bone - and mindful that screw failure has been an issue with some early Dynesys patients - I've been advised to eliminate them slowly if I can, over the next few months. So there we were, thinking we were doing the right thing by getting off the morphine first when the anti-inflamms should have been priority. Hey ho, would have helped is someone had told us that earlier. So once again, Dr Vic and I are having fun at balancing the drugs - got to be sensible though because I've been warned that physio may cause problems and extra pain.

All in all, I'm happy with progress - onward and upward I say.

PS. BIG thanks to all of you for your continued support /comments - I can't reply on the blog but believe me I read every one. Mwah xxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kel & Dr Vic

Those X-rays are amazing and, I guess hard for you to believe that they are actually in your back! You will sure send the x-ray machines at the airport into overload.

Glad to hear it was such a positive hospital appointment and that you are on the right road.

Keep up your spirits mate you are doing so good.

Will come and visit you shortly.

Big hugs and kisses to you both.

Jackie & Cowdrey xxx

Grumpy old.MateyLott said...

Eight weeks for me since op. and quite a lot worse. Recon one of my 8 screws is loose but Surgeon says no. Waiting list now for more MRIs.
Keep smiling
Tony B