Monday 29 December 2008

TIPS: Preparing for surgery

Quite a few of you who are pre-op have contacted me and asked if I have any tips to make your stay in hospital and the surgery more bearable. Well, here goes:-

Pre-op body preparation - CORE! CORE! CORE! - strengthening of your core muscles through Pilates, FitBall or swimming is the best aid to recovery that you can do beforehand.

Getting up - physios will be around within 24 hours of the op to get you up and out of bed. When they came to me they brought a zimmer and crutches - I managed to walk to the ward gym on the crutches and climb up and down 5 steps - in total the exercises lasted 10 mins max. I would be lying if I said it was not painful BUT it wasn't as awful as I imagined it would be and once up the pain did settle down. It was a lot easier after the first time plus you can then get yourself to the loo and bathroom. Because you are used to living with pain, you will probably have quite a high resistance already, which helps. But my biggest tip to any of you is to take all the drugs they throw at you - the more drugs you have in your system when the physios arrive, the less painful it will be when they get you up (this tip was given to me by the Ward Sister at my pre-assessment). Also please don't be afraid if they offer you morphine (oramorph, oxycontin, injections etc.) - I know a lot of people worry about taking morphine but I've been assured you can't get addicted to it when your body is using it for pain (apparently it is metabolised in a different way by the body as to when used recreationally).

Showering - I wasn't able to shower until I had my stitches out and the wound was completely dry. The first day I just had a wash at the bed with a nurse washing my back and legs - don't forget to pack a flannel and soap! Once I was up I used the sink in the ward bathroom BUT you will need help (family, friend, nurse). It is v.v. tiring and quite painful at first - even now I struggle with my feet. As for hair washing - bending over a sink or shoving only your head in the shower was a nightmare - you will want to do it as quickly as possible so I suggest you buy either an all-in-one shampoo/conditioner or a leave-in conditioner that can be applied afterwards. Believe me, you will want it to be over in one quick wash!!! I took unperfumed baby wipes with me and these were great for refreshing myself during the day and keeping my hands clean. I found the drugs made me sweat terribly, especially during the night, so these really came in handy.

Dryness - your mouth will feel like Ghandi's armpit after the op. and what with all the drugs - take a lipsalve in with you and some nice flavoured sucking sweets.

Nightwear - a nightdress/nightshirt (yes, they do still sell them at M&S) is best for hospital as pyjama bottoms are impossible to pull up and down and the waist will only aggravate your wound if it is in the lumbar region. They turn all the lights on at 6.00am every morning to get you ready for drugs and breakfast – if you want to sleep in or even during the day suggest you pack an eye mask too.

Entertainment – don’t forget your mobile (NHS Patientline is mega expensive especially for those who phone you!), Ipod / music, books.

Home at last! – I found the raised toilet seat and perch stool invaluable for washing / loo – you can make arrangements to get them via your GP/District Nurse.

Hope the above is of help to you spineys out there...

No comments: