Wednesday 10 December 2008

Physio, sleeping - 7 weeks and counting....

Here I am 7 weeks post-op and I finally started physio yesterday morning, woohoo! It was a hands-on session; the therapist was lovely and really put me at ease. She confirmed that I have tightness in my right leg and hip joint as well as in my upper back. She said that I had done well and that my movement, considering what I've been through, was good - chuffed, Dr Vic said I was grinning from ear to ear. She showed me some new exercises to incorporate in my daily routine, in particular 'cat-like' stretching exercises performed on my hands and knees. I felt good during the session, but boy was I in trouble last night, when the pain kicked in! Seems to have settled a bit today so I'm now gearing myself up for session no. 2 on Friday - this time it's hydrotherapy in a hot, bubbling pool!

Sleep, or lack of it, has been a problem for 4 years - getting just a few hours most nights before waking in pain or discomfort. And whilst I spend more time than most in bed, it's usually just to rest my back (especially afternoons following exercise). So it's probably no surprise that I'm always on the hunt for things that promote comfortable, pain-free sleep. Hence why we recently bought a memory-foam mattress topper. Not cheap it's true, but all I can say is that it is FAB-U-LOUS!!! Recommended to me by a couple of 'spineys', the topper moulds to your every contour, so you feel fully supported and warm... I abs. love it.

Since the op, I've only been able to sleep on my back - it's too uncomfortable to sleep any other way. So today I invested in a full body pillow. 'What is that?' you might ask? Well it's a full-length pillow that you position between your legs, under your waist arch and hug in your arms!! I've read rave reviews from 'spineys' who are using them - you can buy them everywhere in the US but they're hard to come by here in the UK. Finally got mine from The White Company (www.thewhitecompany.com). Can't wait until it's delivered...

And finally this week I have invested in a funky, folding walking stick of my very own. Whilst my aim is to walk totally unaided all the time, I have been advised to be sensible and always have something with me for when I get tired or my back aches. So whilst the NHS supplied stick has been a godsend, it is damn UGLY and makes me feel a 100 years old! Time for a new funky version more in line with the Kelster's image! Check out www.switchsticks.com and www.aidmobility.co.uk. I settled on a glossy black one with big yellow and green daffodils - folds to just 9 inches in its own quilted bag. Won't be missing me in the dark then, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad things are improving, have checked out the body pillow and think i will invest in one of those! We already have a memory foam mattress on the bed, bought it a couple of years ago. We bought a topper for our motorhome for when we are away in that, we think they are very good too!
Hope the pillow helps gives you some support whilst you are resting.
Good luck with the Physio and the hydrotherapy. Chat soon and keep up the good work with the blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly amd Dr.VIC
Nice to read that every day is getting a little better hope it continious the trend and keeps getting better
keep you both in our prayers
love Gene and Marian