Monday 22 December 2008

My back hurts like...... a very bad swear word!!!

Gggrrrr!!!! Not a good day today. I guess it's a combination of increased physio, a return to some semblance of normality, the run-up to Christmas and the stomach bug that is going around that has had me in a bit of a state these past two days...

A return to some sort of normality this past week has seen me - defuzzed and my hair cut & coloured (2 hours in chair / backwash was a step too far, methinks!). I tell you, I was starting to look like Russell Brand in drag!!! Also managed to get dressed up too i.e. no tracky or crocs, for my physio J's annual Christmas soiree. A few visitors through the week also raised both mine & Dr Vic's spirits no end as we have felt disconnected from the whole 'Christmas' thing this year...

Hydro was hard this week. The dreaded 'woggle twist' and 'woggle side-bends' are the worst - I know that twisting my back in various ways is a must but it is so bloody painful... On Saturday I really could 'feel' where I had worked my core and back muscles - it might hurt but at least I know it's doing some good, eh? Not back in the class until 9th January so am going to try to get down to my own gym and in the pool there a couple of times over the festive period.

No longer taking Diclofenic - woohoo!!! Re-jigged remaining painkillers to compensate when I need it, but hopefully it will now give my screws a better chance of bonding with the bone per my surgeons instructions.

The upshot of all this activity has resulted in my back hurting like ... well, the title of this post :-(

Dr Vic also took the mobility paraphernalia I have been using since the op back to the NHS stores this week. Out of all the bits Dr Vic got for me, I would recommend the raised toilet seat and perch stool for anyone having this sort of operation. They really have been a boon in helping me with showering, washing and the loo!!!

Finally able to sleep on my side - heaven :-). The full body pillow has done the trick - it's fab-u-lous!

I have been e-chatting with 3 wonderful ladies who, through no fault of their own, are now undergoing revision surgery as a result of Dynesys failure. Their cases sadden and frighten me at the same time. Their recoveries took between 12-24 months and afterwards they felt their backs were 'fixed', then suddenly... well, you can guess the rest. I would just like to say to anyone out there reading this blog and contemplating ANY form of back surgery - nothing is guaranteed - Dynesys is still a relatively "new" back procedure - things can and do go wrong, months and years even after surgery. So please go into this or any other surgery with your eyes WIDE open. I've always known that my back could change for the worse in the future (like my unlucky Dynesys friends) but I did my homework and this still remains the right solution / decision for my back right now. I have no regrets and look forward with hope to a better 'back' future.

PS. if you want to connect with other Dynesys patients, join Facebook (free membership) and become a member of the group, "Dynesis: stabilising back surgery".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly,
Glad to hear that you are working through the pain!!! Just think what all your hard work will bring you in 2009! All the best.
Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly When you think of the ladies that the operation has failed remember people reacte differently and I am sure your surgergy was different then theirs because of new measures, Hope that things get better for you in the new year. Keep similing best medicine Joanne