Monday 13 October 2008

The nitty gritty...

Well, I feel about as ready as I can be for this op. I don't know everything about it but I know enough to satisfy me that I am doing the right thing.
  1. I have faith in my surgeon. Mr Shepperd has been performing these ops for 10 years, he lectures worldwide about the technique and he was voted the British Orthopaedic Trainees Assoc. National Trainer of the Year in 2007 (phew!!). Oh, and he's a nice man. Since seeing him for the first time in 2004 the success rate has risen from 60-75%. Out of the unsuccessfuls, 4 out of 400 are worse off and have the hardware removed after 12 months, the remainder see no real benefit at all but are NOT worse off. My physio reckons a 75% success rate is pretty good.
  2. This operation puts in (hardware), it doesn't take out (discs).
  3. If I am one of the unlucky ones, I can have the hardware removed.
  4. The last spinal probe I endured (at levels L4-L5 and L5-S1) gave me considerable relief from pain for a couple of months. According to Mr Shepperd the probe is a reason why the success rate has gone up - patients who get relief from the probe are likely to benefit from Dynesis stabilisation.
  5. Problems with the hardware - discussion forums can be frightening (as well as encouraging) places to visit. I have read about hardware failure, screws coming loose and how lots of patients in the US are having the hardware removed. Some operations will fail, fact. I've been told that the screws used now are far more robust and coated with something or other that helps them to adhere better/longer. The wiring will 'give' over time with movement alone but the amount it gives can be dependent upon your level of activity. Hardware is removed when Dynesis is unsuccessful BUT it can also be removed when it's done its job i.e. discs repair, back stabilises.

There are a number of sites that I have found useful about the actual procedure itself:-

There are a couple of discussion forums that I have found useful (below) - the only problem is they're pretty much without exception North American sites/patients. Now don't get me wrong, I have no axe to grind with Americans or Canadians (I'm married to one) but I want information about the procedure, surgeons, patients and support in the UK. How the NHS fares...

I am reconciled to the fact that Dynesis is not a cure. It's merely a solution to pain and instability which hopefully will give me a new lease of life. I will always have a bad back, and that means I will always have to watch what I do and tailor my life accordingly. So what if I can't jump out of planes, I may be able to fly in one without pain. I might not run a marathon again but I may be able to power walk at the gym. And I will probably never be able to downhill ski again but I may be able to cross-country or snowshoe. Who knows, it's a new chapter...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kelly by the time you read this the operation will be over and you will be on the way to getting your dancing shoes on again!

Thinking of you and wishing you lots of love. Tony & Kim