Sunday 12 October 2008

A little bit of back (pardon the pun) ground...

I'm a 45 year old slightly overweight 'girlie' who likes to think that she used to be reasonably fit and active! Up until 4 years ago I had a career, a hectic social life, a sex life (!), I travelled regularly, downhill skied, rambled, was able to go to the gym and subject myself to any torture I fancied, I even completed the 2003 Moonwalk marathon for breast cancer. But in May 2004 all that changed.

Actually I think the problem started much earlier... my back always hurt if I carried shopping, my laptop or briefcase and if I did housework - but I took it to be the norm, that everybody's did. However, in October 2003 - my back 'collapsed' for the first time and I spent a week off work, in bed. This was followed by months of instability and bouts of pain. I'd try to get off the train or out of a perfectly ergonomic chair at work and I'd be unable to stand up straight or I'd be limping badly... I thought it odd but, in truth, alarm bells weren't ringing - I just thought my body was going through a phase. But then in May 2004 my back 'collapsed' again, for the second time - since then, NOTHING has been the same.

After seeing 2 orthopaedic surgeons, multiple x-rays, an MRI and a spinal probe I was diagnosed with degenerative disc at L5-S1, congenital abnormality of the L5 vertebra with a large right-sided transverse process producing scoliosis at L4-5. This year, following an A&E overnighter, more x-rays and a second spinal probe evidenced further problems; a tear in the L5-S1 disc, new degeneration at L4-L5 and evidence of inflammatory chemicals (TNF) "leaking all over the place", registrar's words not mine! No surprise to me that my back continues to deteriorate, I'm living with the pain and yes, that's despite continued and concerted efforts to remain mobile and flexible.

This leads me to today. After more than 4 years of pain, drugs, depression, no sleep, expense, living in hope that hydrotherapy, swimming, pilates and physio manipulation will magically fix the problem or that my back will "settle in time" I've come to realise that surgical intervention is my only chance of returning to something resembling a 'normal' life. Oh, and let me just clarify what I mean by 'normal' here... I mean, relatively drug and pain free, not NORMAL (like other people) normal. I know you know what I mean!

So that's it, I'm putting my faith in God, my surgeon (Mr John Shepperd, Conquest Hospital, Hastings), Dynesis and the good ol' NHS. It's 7 days and counting...

5 comments:

Vic said...

Let me be the first to be one of Kelly's followers. Kel this is a fantastic thing you have set up and hopefully those who read this
can benefit from your experience.

Oh by the way, this is the "Phwoarrr hubby", well done Sunshine!

Anonymous said...

Make me 2nd - Kel, you're bloody marvellous girl - what a great idea, especially for those trying to find information on the same topic.

I will be checking into the site on a regular basis and Vic, I'll try not to keep phoning you but you know we are here if you need us.

Kel, will be thinking of you - keep strong mate.

Love always

Jackie, Cowdrey, James & Harry xxx

Rob & Pat Jones said...

Kelly,
We wish you all the best here from California.
Like I told you some time ago..."always try to recall and remember the good things, not the bad"
You are a brave woman and you have a great husband by your side.

All our love
Robert, Patty, Laika, Lucy, Murphy, Spot and Tabby. xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly

Found your 'Blog' whilst searching for Info, i am on waiting list for Dynesys surgery. Thank you for setting up this, it has been great reading, but i am sorry you are still having so much pain. Time is a great healer. I wish you a speedy recovery but just take it easy and don't over do it, especially sitting on here writing up your Blogg! LOL. Thanks again- Angie x See you on facebook

Janis said...

I wanted to say that my surgeon has a practice here in Michigan & one in California & he also has privildges in Germany, which he operates there at times too.

His name is Dr. Kevin Jon Lawson & has a very good success rate with his surgeries. I'm hoping to be one of the successes, but as we know, we just don't know the outcome till after surgery.

I will continue reading your story now :)

Hugs, janis

www.scrappergrl.blogspot.com/